Friday 27 August 2010

Doldenhornhütte

Because I'm coming up to the end of my season I've got some big plans for my days off. Last week it was a bit more off the hoof - I didn't have much planned, so me and one of the other hike guides, Sara from Italy decided to go to Doldenhornhutte in the afternoon. Mountain huts in the area are pretty common and I've stayed at Lotschenpasshutte and Frundenhutte overnight - they're a pretty cool experience. The food is amazing and the sleep is even better (my record is 8pm!), and the only way to resupply is to fly everything by helicopter. We didn't stay at the hut, in fact we only stayed for about 10 minutes.

The hike up was really nice, mainly because we went really fast! Both of us are hike guides so we're pretty fit and used to walking around here, but we're mainly fed up of walking really slowly with guests that we take hiking. So we managed to get up in an hour and a half had a few minutes at the hut and then started back down.

The way down was a bit more interesting because I was our first real Alpineweg - the hardest type of path in Switzerland. They tend to be very steep and/or quite exposed. This one was very short (only about half a kilometre long) but quite exposed. They were sections of wire to hang onto and a short ladder to climb. The Alpineweg paths in Switzerland are marked with blue and white markers, so we got a bit excited about these!

We managed to get back down in an hour and a half, making a 3 hour round trip, which I was quite impressed with. All in all a pretty good day out.

Posted via email from Ali's Kandersteg Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment