Monday 12 September 2011

1st August

I'm actually back home from Kandersteg now, but catching up on posts :)

This post is a little out of sequence - obviously it should have appeared during the middle of the summer...

1st August is Swiss National Day (see some of my pictures from last summer), and it's a bit special for the Snow & Ice Helpers as we have to be on duty and look after the running of the centre during the evening. I also had a bit more time off than I did last time, and managed to have a look around and see what the other Pinkies are doing and take some pictures. 

As you can see, the staff got special t-shirts this year (we were supposed to get some last summer, but the delivery didn't arrive until 3rd August!) which are particularly cool. You can see the "Reddies" running special silly games, stalls and activities, which we only do on 1st August. One of my jobs during the day was to run a Trivia Gameshow on the main stage, quizzing the Scouts on their knowledge of Switzerland and Scouting. Also, in case you're wondering why Tom (IE) is topless, it's because he was having the Swiss flag shaved into his hair...

In the evening, the entire camp and all the staff take part in a parade into the village. This is one of my favourite bits of the day, as the Scouts outnumber the village population. Unfortunately I didn't get to participate this year as I had to stay on duty back at the Centre. I did however manage to sneak out for a few minutes to watch the parade pass by my flat and take a few pictures. I'm afraid my camera is pretty bad in the low light conditions so most of the pictures are blurry.

Posted via email from Ali's Kandersteg Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment