Sunday 14 August 2011

Lohnerweg

I've been a bit lax updating this, so I'm going to put up a bunch of posts at once :)

Ever since last summer when I heard about this route from my Tom (IE), I've been wanting to have a crack at it. The Lohnerweg is a fairly long Alpineweg (Alpine path - the most difficult type of marked path in Switzerland) that runs through the Lohners behind Kandersteg. The path is very narrow, with a big drop-off on one side and a lot of loose rock - which sounds like epic fun to me!

When I finally got a chance to try it this summer, along with a few other staff (Jack (UK), Sergio (ES), Kike (ES), Raquel (ES) and ex-Staff Irakqui (DE)) I had a really awesome time. After dinner we hiked up to the Upper Hut in the Ueschinen valley, so that we could get a head start in the morning. The sunrise was really beautiful, and I got a really nice picture despite having to stand outside freezing for about 10 minutes waiting for the flag to blow in the right direction.

Img_1234

Then we set off towards the end of the valley, and past Tschingellochtighorn (pronouced Shin-gel-loch-ti-horn). Then a big loop around back towards Kandersteg and up (past some pretty scary signs!) to the start of the Lohnerweg itself. The pictures don't really show how dodgy looking the path was, but it was very narrow and loose. Unforntunately when we got up to the beginning of the path it looked like the weather was going to turn and become stormy, and so we made the decision not to start down the path. It was a bit of a shame, since the weather never really got any worse. but we walked down into Adelboden instead and hitch-hiked back to the Centre.

Posted via email from Ali's Kandersteg Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment