Saturday 28 January 2012

KISC Part 4: Winter Is Coming (And Gone)

Img_1589

Where I was skiing on Christmas Day. Jealous much? ;)

First of all, I have to apologise for that awful title... I couldn't resist (Here's where the reference is from, if you're wondering)

So yeah, I was back.... again. Pretty much the same as last year - 2 weeks, one week working, one week off. The big difference this year was the lack of guests. Unfortunately there were only 9 people booked on Ski Weeks, compared with about 200 last year. That meant I wasn't able to get any Ski Guiding this year, which is a real shame because it's possibly my favourite job at the Centre. No matter though, I still love being back and seeing all my friends :)

It meant that all of my work this year was in the Chalet, either in House (cleaning the Chalet) or Catering. Bit different to my normal Programme day. And a lot more tiring - big props to those who do it all day, every day.

Anyway, enough of my whining. Below are all of the photos I took (I know there's only a few - I kept forgetting to grab my camera). The first few are just from one of my lunch breaks skiing at Oeschinensee, and the rest are from A day off in Shilthorn.

I managed to get a quite a few lunch breaks and a day or two out, and the snow was pretty excellent most of the time. I really enjoyed skiing during Christmas Day lunch break - the snow was pretty nice, and I was skiing off-piste (which I'm still terrible at) with a few ridiculously good skiers. I didn't hit any trees which was a definite possibility. 

I also went to Shilthorn for the day - a resort best known for it's revolving restaurant at the top of the hill, as seen in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's right opposite the Eiger-Mönch-Jungfrau range which you can see in the background of some of the photos. It's not until you see the North Face properly do you really get a real sense of what it must be like. Truly awesome. The snow on the Shilthorn was epic. I genuinely lost my left ski for about 20 minutes after faceplanting (I told you I wasn't so good with the off-piste) just before I was about to pop back onto the piste. The off-piste area at Shilthorn is really nice, especially compared to where I've been most of my life (the 3 Vallées in France) where every inch of mountain is pisted to within an inch of it's life. My legs were pretty dead after a few hours of that...

Thanks again KISC for being so damn awesome. Not sure when I'll next see you, but I'm already looking forward to it.

Posted via email from Ali's Kandersteg Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment